Miss Holmes – Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator


Miss Holmes is our Special Education Needs and Disabilities Co-Ordinator.(SENDCO). She ensures that all children, regardless of their needs receive the same high-quality education as every other single child in the school. If you would like to discuss your child’s educational needs, please ask to speak to her.

To contact Miss Holmes, please use the following details.

01482 761323

You can find more details of the Local Authority (LA) based Local Offer by clicking here

All Delta schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible. All staff referenced in the document can be contacted via the academy office.

You can read our SEN Report in full on our Statutory Information page here.


Class Teacher is responsible for:

  • :Ensuring that all children have access to effective teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as differentiation).
  • Checking on the progress of your child regularly and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc..) and discussing strategies with the SENCO as necessary
  • .Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school (for example TAs, music teachers, lunchtime supervisors) are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress. It is the teacher’s job to oversee this and ensure your children’s needs are being met at all times.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in the academy are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources. Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

SENCO: Miss Holmes is responsible for:

• Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs (SEN) and or disabilities and developing the academy SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality learning environment.

Ensuring that you are:
• involved in supporting your child’s learning
• kept informed about the support your child is getting
• involved in reviewing how they are doing
• part of planning ahead for them.

She will also be

• Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into the setting to help support your child’s learning e.g. The Speech and Language Therapy Service, The Educational Psychologist, Northcott Autism Outreach Service, The School Nurse and feeding this information back to you.
• Updating the school’s SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, disabilities, physical and sensory needs of pupils in this school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and barriers to learning.
• To provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the setting so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN and/or disabilities) to achieve their potential
.• Supporting your child’s class teacher to write Learning Passports.
• Organising training for staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our setting.

Head of Academy: Mrs Hartmann is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the academy, this includes the support for children with SEN and/or disabilities. She will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met. She must make sure that the Academy Advisory Board is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

AAB Member: Lisa Chalmers is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the academy has an up to date SEND Policy.
  • Making sure that the setting has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the setting who has SEN and/or disabilities
  • Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the academy and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves his/her potential during their time at the academy.

How can my child get help at the academy?

  • Children in the setting will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be all provided by the class teacher or may involve:
  • Other staff in the setting
  • Staff who will visit from the Local Authority central services such as the Educational Psychologist, ASD Outreach Team (Northcott) or Integrated Physical and Sensory Service (IPASS)
  • Staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEN and /or disabilities in this academy? Class teacher input via quality classroom teaching.

  • The teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning task. All children in school receive this.

Specific small group work. This group work may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or (most often) a Teaching Assistant who has had training to run these groups. These are often called Intervention groups by schools.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to close the gap between your child and their peers.
  • He/ She will plan group sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress.
  • A TA will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plans, or a recommended programme from an outside agency.
  • This additional support will take the form of a continuous “assess, plan, do review” cycle. This means that interventions are revisited, revised and evaluated to ensure that your child is able to receive the most effective support and guidance in order to make progress. 
  • Where a child continues to make less than expected progress, despite interventions and support being put in place, the school may consider contacting specialist support from outside agencies.
  • Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning. Some of the children accessing intervention groups may be at the stage of the SEND Code of Practice called SEN support which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.

They may access specialist groups ran by outside agencies

  • Such as:
  • Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.
  • Northcott (ASD support)
  • School Nurse
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Tweendykes Outreach support
  • IPASS – Integrated Physical and Sensory Service
  • If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to highly effective class room teaching and intervention groups, referrals will be made to outside agencies to advise and support the setting in enabling your child to make progress.
  • Before referrals are made you will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward. If it is agreed that the support of an outside agency is a way forward, you will be asked to give your permission for the academy to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the academy and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include: – Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better – Support to set targets which will include their specific professional expertise – Your child’s involvement in a group run staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group or clever fingers group – Group or individual work with an outside professional
  • The setting may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support or group support in the setting. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.
  • The Assess-Plan-Do-Review cycle will continue with the support of outside agencies.
  • In some cases, a child may continue to not make progress. In this case, a Person Centred Planning (PCP) meeting will be called with parents/carers, key staff, outside agencies and the child. The child will be Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through effective whole class teaching and intervention groups
Specified Individual support for when the My Support Plan has been put in place, but more support is still needed.
• ASD Outreach Team (Northcott)• Integrated Physical and Sensory Service (IPASS)• The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is known as an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This is a legal process and you can find more details about this in the Local Authority (LA) based Local Offer, http://hull.mylocaloffer.org/s4s/WhereILive/Council?pageId=3018&lockLA=True• The purpose of an EHCP is to make special educational provision to meet the needs of your child, to secure the best possible outcomes and to prepare them for adulthood as they get older.• After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEN Support.• After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs meet the criteria for a plan.• If this is the case they will write an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEN Support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible. A non-statutory plan may be drawn up to ensure the holistic provision of support for your child.• The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should Children who have had a My Support Plan in place and are still not making expected progress and it is felt more support is needed. Those children who have complex and significant needs.• Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service,• Occupational therapy service,• Physiotherapy• CAMHS• The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child
How will we support your child with identified special needs and/or a disability when starting at the academy?
• We will first invite you to visit the school with your child to have a look around and speak to staff. If they are starting in the Foundation Stage the class teacher and SENCO will also provide a home visit.• If other professionals are involved, a multi-agency meeting (with everyone involved meeting together) will be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts.• We may suggest adaptations to the settling in period to help your child to settle more easily. How can I let the academy know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?• If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.• If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCO (Mrs Hartmann)• If you are still not happy you can speak to the Head of Academy (Mr Phillips) or the school SEN AAB Member
How will the academy let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning?
• When a teacher or a parent has raised concerns about a child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher will raise this with the SENCO. This can happen at any point throughout the year, including designated SEN meetings held termly.• Meetings are held every term between each class teacher and a senior staff member in the school to ensure all children are making good progress. This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as expected.• Our open door policy means the class teacher will contact you at any time if they have concerns, either in person or over the telephone.• If your child is then identified as not making progress the academy will make a decision about whether to monitor this or set up an intervention group and will inform you.• If your child is still not making expected progress the school will discuss with you: o any concerns you may have o any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning o how the academy and home can work together, to support your child. How does the academy support the children’s social and emotional needs?• All pupils at the academy have access to the Emotional Well-being Team.• The academy understands that children with SEN needs and/or disabilities may be more vulnerable to bullying and significant harm, a member of the EWO checks in at least weekly with vulnerable children.• All staff are restorative practice trained and use this model to resolve conflict, any concerns staff may have around bullying is passed onto a member of the Senior Leadership Team and is fully investigated and dealt with in-line with the Anti-Bullying strategy which is available on the statutory information page of the academy website or alternatively from the main office.
How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?
• The academy budget, received from Hull LA, includes money for supporting children with SEN.• The Head of Academy decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the AAB, on the basis of the needs of the children currently in the setting.• The Head of Academy and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEN in the setting, including: o the children getting extra support already o the children needing extra support o the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected. They then decide what resources/training and support is needed.• All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed. Who are the other people providing services to children with SEN or a disability in this academy?
How are the adults in school helped to work with children with a SEND need or disability and what training do they have?
• The SENCO’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.• The school has a school development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND, including TAs and Lunchtime Supervisors. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as ASD and dyslexia.• Whole staff training is used to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with a SEND.• Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g from the ASD Outreach service (Northcott) Training takes place on a regular basis. If you would like to hear about the training which is currently taking place or has taken place by the staff members in the school, please speak to the SENCO How will the teaching be adapted for my child with learning needs (SEN/ and or disabilities)• Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that learning tasks are adjusted in order to enable your child to access their learning as independently as possible.• Specially trained support staff can implement the teachers modified/adapted planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.• Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.• Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs and increase your child’s access to day to day learning.
How will we measure the progress of your child in school? And how will I know about this?
• Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.• His/her progress is reviewed formally every half term. The school assess each child based on the national expectation for each Year Group. If a child is within age related expectation (ARE) they are assessed at “At Expectation”. Those children who are not yet meeting ARE are assessed as “Below Expectation” and those children who are working above the expected standard are assessed as “Above Expectation”• If your child is in on the SEN register, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. This assessment tool is known as B Squared.• At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.• The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.• All children with additional needs have a learning passport and have a termly one page profile meeting.• The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.• A range of ways will be used to keep you informed, which may include: o Letters/certificates/ texts sent home o Additional meetings as required o Report
What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEN/and or disabilities?
• We would like you to talk to your child’s class teacher regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school. This is to ensure that we are doing similar things to support them both at home and school and can share what is working in both places. This can be as informal as a quick chat when you bring or collect your child.• The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.• All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. The SENCO will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.• Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.• A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child. In addition: If you child is undergoing statutory assessment you will also be supported by the Children’s Services SEN Team. They will ensure that you fully understand the process